aimeejo

Aimee

Dark Descendant

Dark Descendant - Jenna Black I've read Jenna Black's Faeriewalker series and loved it. But I hadn't really tried anything else from her until now. My consensus is... Jenna Black rocks! I really loved this one. There have been quite a few mythology books coming out recently and I think this stands out. Because it doesn't copy a story, twist one story or involve only one specific mythological family. It includes them all. From Greek to Roman to Norse to any and all of them. Which makes the story unpredictable and a pleasure to read.

Loved the premise. Loved it completely! From how Nikki ended up one of the immortal to the civil unrest between two factions. Jenna Black has created such a masterful story with some great characters. They might not all be good, but even the worst don't seem to be all that bad in the end. I like how she made some of her characters redeemable. Great writing.

I love mythology stories, even better, ones that don't stick to old rules. The world was set up almost perfectly. There was definitely a lot of thought put into the descendants and how, exactly, they claim their immortality. The bit I liked the most? The fact that not all descendants are plentiful. Nikki's status as a rare descendant really makes the story interesting, since she seems to be one of the few of Artemis's line.

I highly recommend this book. It was a fantastic read. I also recommend the author because I think she is just a talented writer. I am definitely moving up her other novels higher on my tbr list.