aimeejo

Aimee

That Summer

That Summer - Sarah Dessen This was different from the other Dessen books I have read. And not in a bad way. In fact, I was so surprised on how different that I kept waiting for the romance. There wasn't one. This was purely a coming of age novel. And it was a great story.

Haven is dealing with a lot. Like growing to be really tall, dealing with her parents divorce, her dad's upcoming marriage and her sisters marriage and how things are changing so much. She can link it back to one specific summer. It was a neat storyline. I, myself, don't have a period where everything seemed to change for me, but it was interesting to read about it for someone who did.

Haven is a misunderstood character in the book. She has a hard time getting people to just understand her and what she is feeling. There seems to be only one person. Sumner. But things don't seem to be as great as she thought they were.

It was a good story. No romance, no relationship troubles, but instead a story telling about the struggles of just growing up. It is a great book worth reading, just don't read it if you are looking for a romance. You won't find even a hint of it in the pages of this one.