aimeejo

Aimee

The Pledge

The Pledge - Kimberly Derting What a story! I was excited to get my hands on this, since I love Kimberly Derting's Body Finder series. Loved the premise behind it and the story was packed with so much action that it kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time. I might have chewed all my nails off from the gripping scenes!

The premise was awesome. Different classes of society had different languages they could speak. Those of a lower class were forbidden to acknowledge or even meet the eyes of the speaker if they were speaking their class language. And everything was punishable by death. The Queen was very fascinating, even for being an evil leader. There isn't too much of the supernatural in the book, but the Queen brings a bit in and makes for a great source of conflict.

This was written very differently than Derting's other series. This tells the story, changing the character POV through several people. It adds to the story and adds another element of mystery as the reader tries to figure out key characters and exactly who they really are.

The Pledge was just utterly brilliant. I couldn't put it down and was swept away by the story. We see the potential for a series with this, even though the story gets wrapped up pretty well in the end, leaving only a tiny piece left undone, left undone on purpose. I would love to see another novel after this, as its very unique and very entertaining.