aimeejo

Aimee

Sign Language

Sign Language - Amy Ackley Oh. My. I knew a little about what would happen going in, but I had no idea how much of an impact this book would truly make. I was on the verge of tears for most of the first half and the second, I found myself in tears for some pretty intense parts. It was a very emotional read. And I'm glad I read it.

I was able to connect with Abby right away. I wanted to comfort her, protect her and it was hard to watch her experience this at such a young age. Reading through, it was obvious that Abby knew her dad would die, but she hadn't grasped the concept of him not going to be around. It was her first lesson in death and it just about broke my heart.

I'm glad I read this, but it was a hard read. I kept having to put it down to take breaks because it rings very true. Anyone who has lost someone to cancer can relate in so many ways and those who haven't don't feel cut off from the characters or the story. It was beautifully, heart achingly done. It something that definitely needs to be read.

The story's main focus is on Abby learning to deal with losing her father, but I loved to see how it went from losing him to learning how to live and how to heal. It is a story that everyone should read.