aimeejo

Aimee

Grave Mercy

Grave Mercy - Robin LaFevers This is a must read! When I first saw the cover, I had to check it out. And then I read the book bio. After checking it out, I knew I had to get my hands on this! I don't normally go for the historical novels too much. Especially with a paranormal twist. Grave Mercy was full of awesomeness. So much, that once I started, I was reluctant to put it down. Even to eat.

What first grabbed my attention was the two little words. "Death's Handmadens". That right there. That did it for me. And then I discovered something else that was awesome. The Saints (or Gods) in this book aren't the ones we are used to seeing. They aren't the Greek Gods, which are popping up more and more. This was truly unique, intense and a magnificent example of how a book should be. It has everything! Action, adventure, romance, death and assassinations.

Ismae didn't have an easy childhood. She's been marked by Death himself. I felt for her through this novel, because she is raised by a ghastly man and then saved from certain death by being sent to a convent. A convent that serves Death himself. Ismae has to pose as Duval's cousin (aka mistress). And while working with him to keep Brittany out of the hands of the French, betrayal and mystery swarm Ismae. Things aren't as they seem and those she once trusted might not be trustworthy.

This truly is a book that needs to be picked up right away and given the time and dedication it deserves to let this story unfold. It was carefully crafted, not rushed, and the hard work that went into the book shines all the way through the book. This is the kind of book you drop what you are doing and immerse yourself completely into one of the best books released this year.