aimeejo

Aimee

Written in Red

Written in Red - Anne Bishop It seems like it has been a long time since I was able to enjoy a book like I enjoyed Written in Red. I was hooked by the premise and immediately got sucked deep into the story.

It was weird at first to have different days of the week and such, but after the first few chapters, it didn't feel so weird. What I liked about this was it is set up like high fantasy mixed with urban fantasy. I don't think I have ever encountered something like this before. Bishop never took it too far. She never, at any point, renamed everything in sight for her world. A car was just a car, a spoon just a spoon. Continent/country/city names were different, as it was pretty much another world, but was basic enough to not make it difficult to follow along.

Normally, I wouldn't like characters like Meg. The ones where they are weak and always need saving. The Meg was different. Because of the way she was raised, she had a lot of learning to do and I found it fascinating to watch her try to figure things out and for the people around her to try to figure her out. The more I learned about her the more I rooted for her to win. I'm firmly in Meg's corner. Plus, her and Sam are so cute together. Adventure buddies unite!

I think Anne Bishop did an amazing job showing that Simon was just not human. He has a human shape but he doesn't react how a human male would. He was often confused on the actions of humans, and in particular, Meg. Meg stumped the poor guy. In how to talk to her, in how to deal with her and how to get others to deal with her. I even giggled at his response when Meg was becoming beloved by those that rejected many of his kind.

I'm excited to start on the next one and have found a great new series to enjoy. Well worth the money to buy me a copy for my bookshelf too.