aimeejo

Aimee

First Grave on the Right

First Grave on the Right - Darynda Jones I bought this one when it first came out. But I haven't read it until now. I don't know why I put it off, but I wish I hadn't (but also grateful because the first 3 books were out so I could get those right away too). I played around with the samples of this for the audiobook and it was off putting. I didn't like the reader. At all. So, I pushed this to the bottom of my tbr pile. What a mistake! This is definitely a new favorite series that I'm obsessing over!

I love Charley. She's a tough chick who isn't afraid of anything but who she has dubbed as the Big Bad. Being a consultant with the police department, she's able to help those who've been murdered bring their murders to justice when other methods fail. That right there was very intriguing for me and what got me hooked to the first book. I like that she just doesn't deal in ghosts. She has a job in the real world, being a private investigator (and consultant). She uses her gifts to help out her field, but she doesn't isolate herself. She has friends and family who love and care for her. Most authors avoid giving their heroine such strong ties, because it can hinder the story. Not so here. In fact, it is her ties to her family and friends that really help Charley show the reader just what kind of person she is.

Reyes. What can I say besides "hubba, hubba!!" The man is fine! A little bad boy attitude, a little mysterious flare, rock hard body. It's the makings for the ultimate love interest. I can't get enough. I was even slightly disappointed I didn't see more of him in this one. You know, like in every page. But, you know, there is more to the story than one devilishly handsome man.

Move over vampires and werewolves, there is a new leader in the paranormal romance genre. And her name is Charley Davidson, Grim Reaper.