aimeejo

Aimee

Touch of Frost

Touch of Frost - Jennifer Estep I had waited, a bit impatiently, for this one. All the hype on it made me want it even more. I even had a friend who scored an ARC copy who told me it was brilliant. I had to have it! And I'm so glad I've finally finished the story. It was all that I imagined and much more.

The author had a little note at the end (along with a teaser for the second book) that explained why she went with this one. It's so different from her Elemental Assassin series in more ways than just being young adult. She loves mythology and mythology mixed in novels. I do too. So it was natural that I would love her story. And what I loved about hers is that it is set so it didn't just blend with the other myth type young adult books I've read. It stood out. The different descendants made for a very interesting story.

Another reason I think this is utterly brilliant, is that we see some of the gods we recognize. But we get more face time with some that normally don't get seen. Loki is a little more recognizable than Nike, but I was impressed and excited to see the authors use of the Victory goddess. Jennifer Estep wasn't afraid to use gods and goddess that weren't as well known and I really think it helped make the novel than trying to get around a goddess or god that a lot of others have written with and still try to make the character their own. Very brilliant move.

I loved the premise. Of all the warriors that make up the school, Gwen is the odd girl out. But she's not weak. Never weak, she just has different strengths. Strengths we are learning with her as she adapts to her new school. This series has a lot of promise. I have yet to read a book by Jennifer Estep that I didn't love and this is another book that has earned it's place on my favorites shelf. With all of the mythology young adult novels out there, this is a step above the rest. My favorite I have come across.