aimeejo

Aimee

The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games - Suzanne  Collins I'm not sure what took me so long to read this. I had heard all the hype and had decided to wait until it died down some before picking this up. I'm glad I did, but I'm also wondering what was wrong with me! I was engulfed in the story from the start. Katniss was such an easy character to connect with and care for. Her taking care of her family since her father's death was very moving. She loves her family, even if she does resent having to be mom and sister everyday.

I'm glad Katniss wasn't one of those characters that shuts off and does what is needed to survive. She does what is needed, but she feels everything. She grieves and she rages at the injustice of her circumstance and uses both to propel herself further. She truly was a very strong character, able to still do what it takes to save the lives of those she loves, even if it meant the possibility of trading her life for another.

I'm not going to lie. I've read a few dystopian novels, some darker than others, but this was truly crafted from a brilliant mind. It's not just dark, it's savage. Everything is done to show these lowly people just where they are in the world and what the people in the Capitol thing of them. I really do look forward to continuing the story. Katniss has caught my attention and I'm eager to see just how well she fares.