aimeejo

Aimee

Catching Fire

Catching Fire - Suzanne  Collins I had a lot of moments in this book where I've yelled "I can't believe that just happened!!". I have been on the edge of my seat since I started the first book and after finishing this one, it was hard not to propel myself into the last book. But I had to get my review out before the third changes my views on the second, for better or worse.

I did not see the events in this one coming. At all. I almost gave up half way through because things were so intense that I didn't know if I could handle it. But Suzanne Collins is a brilliant author, she puts her characters in the situations that they thought they'd never be in and tortures not just her characters, but her readers. I do say torture, because we are right with Katniss most of the time, we see stuff happen, but we don't know the conclusion and it kills me to not know. But it is brilliant writing at its best. It had me reeled in, feeling like one of the spectators but without the censorship.

I have heard a lot of mixed reviews about this and I'm glad I took a chance on it. Most people compare other novels in the dystopian genre to this one and I had to see what it was all about. I can see why this is, to most, one of the best in the genre. This isn't like some of the other novels I find. Collins pulls no punches. Characters die, in horrible ways and it propels all the main characters into action. This series is dark, gritty and feels very real. There is no such thing as fluff when it comes to this series.