aimeejo

Aimee

Getting Over Garrett Delaney

Getting Over Garrett Delaney - Abby McDonald This was a lot better than I thought it would be, a lot different too. I had a few theories when I first started this and it turned out so much different than I thought. And it was better for it. Sadie has been head over heels in love with her best friend... who pretty much sees through her as if she weren't standing right in front of him when it comes to romantic feelings. While I thought I was going to get a romantic ya book, it was a coming of age and self discovery for a girl whose life for the last few years has revolved around one person, the boy she thought was her destiny.

Watching Sadie struggle to figure out a way to get over him after he's broke her heart (again, though seemingly unintentionally), it really helped me to connect with her as a character. She does struggle, she's very real and human about her feelings for Garrett and even blind to way he treats her. It wasn't easy for her, she fought the process most of the way. That's what made it feel so real, since a lot of girls have probably felt the same way (I know I have). The supporting characters in this were fantastic. While most of the story focuses on Sadie, we do get side stories of a few others and we learn that even those older than Sadie struggle with what she's going through, and they band together.

From start to finish, this book was such a joy to read. I was engaged the entire time and emotionally invested in the outcome. This is definitely a good book for anyone to read. A journey of self discovery that all girls (and women) should read.