aimeejo

Aimee

In Too Deep

In Too Deep - Amanda Grace, Mandy Hubbard I had wanted to like this more. The story itself is compelling. To tell the truth or to keep your mouth shut. Sam is humiliated, but not the way her school thinks. She through herself at a popular jock in order to get the guy she likes to notice her. But it doesn't end well. She's drunk and manages to get herself a few bumps and bruises on her way to trying to get noticed. In all the wrong ways.

What made this story easier to read was that Sam herself didn't start the rumor. She's humiliated at being rejected, in a cruel manner, that when people start to ask her "Is it true?" all she can do is nod and hope people leave her alone. But what she finds out days later is a shock for her. When she realized what people were actually thinking instead of what she thought for sure had happened, Sam is shocked. That makes it easier to read, but while I had hoped she would speak up and correct people, she doesn't. Instead, she lets things spiral out of control.

It was a hard read. Very realistic. Except for the fact that a whole school believes a student was raped and all the adults, teachers, faculty are in the dark. If the whole school was gossiping about this scandal, I don't know how none of the adults didn't find out until the very end.

It is a good read, but this was one that I might not read again. It takes Sam a long time to do the right thing and it costs her everything she had wanted. Truly, it was just a hard subject to read through. I'm still a fan of the author and will continue to read her books.